15 Feb 2013

Blueberry Coulis topped Panna Cotta


Have you ever had panna cotta? If not, its high time you taste one..... This is one of the best desserts I've ever had... I came across this recipe in Edible Garden and since then I wanted to give it a try.... but postponed it as it involved cream and sugar which he totally avoids..... so making it for myself and having to not share it, though an idea at its best.... but in action, the thought of all calories for one person, held myself back.... So when we invited friends for dinner, at once this dessert popped into my head.... and there I was completely overjoyed with the outcome..... Everyone loved it.... and it was a hit at home....


It's quite simple to make.... and a must try for all dessert lovers......

You will need......

For the Coulis:

Blueberry - 1 cup
Fresh lemon juice - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp

Isn't this dripping blueberry coulis tempting you to make it?????

You can make the coulis with any type of berry, but do try this combination of vanilla panna cotta with blueberry coulis as these both compliment each other so much......

You can use either the fresh or frozen ones but do bring them to room temperature as the grinding would be easy... and you'll be able to get more extract... Grind the berries in a blender and strain it through a sieve. This would take some time as the extract would be thick. Reserve the strained part in the freezer and use it while making muffins. I made whole wheat honey muffins in which I added this... would post it soon....


Along with the juice extract add sugar and lemon juice. Place it on a stove top and bring it to boil. Simmer it for a few minutes and keep aside. Your blueberry coulis is now ready....

I tried to layer the coulis at the bottom of my cup, but once I poured in the pannacotta, both got combined...breaking my heart... I think I should have refrigerated the coulis before layering... nevertheless they tasted awesome... but the picture in my mind was not delivered on the dessert table... Thank God I had some of the cups which had only plain panna cotta.... on which I could pour the coulis later and garnish them...


For the Panna Cotta:

Fresh cream - 1 cup
Whole milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Gelatine - 1 tsp
Boiling water - 2 tbsp


Place a pan on the stove. Pour in milk and cream. Bring the mixture to boil. Now add in the sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in until the sugar is dissolved completely. Keep aside.

You can even use the vanilla pods for an extra flavour... Remember they are quite expensive.... I switched back to the extract after looking at their price tag.... But, I think they are worth their cost, as I could inhale their flavour even when the pods were sealed in their containers... Should try them sometime....


Bring two tablespoon of water to boil and add the gelatine to it and mix until no traces are found. Now add this gelatine mixture to the milk mixture. Give a nice stir. Pour the mixture into ramekins, oiled lightly to enable unmoulding. Cool them completely and refrigerate them for atleast 8 hours. 

Now everything is ready, all you need are your guests and a little bit of assembling. Unmould the pannacotta onto a plate, side it with blueberries and top it with the blueberry coulis. The very sight of it would make you happy... and the taste of it would be heavenly....


Enjoy your vanilla panna cotta topped with blueberry coulis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog....
It would be greatly appreciated if you could leave your comments which are valuable to me..........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...