Wish you all A very very Happy New Year :-) Hope you all receive bundles of surprises on the happier note in this 2013..... I thought of opening this year with a special post.... a grand one indeed..... what else could it be than a Biriyani!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The recipe source is my mom (the special ever loving lady of my life).. I don't know how far mine could stand on par with hers..... but still this is wonderful enough to bring smiles in all the faces after the very taste of it.... Its quite simple enough.... so just give it a try and see the magic!!!!!!!!
You will need..........
Mutton - 300 gms
Curd - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Rice - 2 and 1/2 cups
Onion - 1 (1/2 quartered and remaining thinly sliced)
Tomato - 5 (boiled in hot water... skin peeled and then pureed to make 2 cups)
Ginger - 100 gms (peeled and roughly chopped)
Garlic - 14 pods (peeled and roughly chopped)
Green chillies - 10 (roughly chopped)
Mint leaves - a handful (twice)
Coriander leaves - a handful (twice)
Cinnamon - 4 (2 inch sticks)
Clove - 10
Cardamom - 5
Coconut milk - 2 cups (1 cup thick and 1 cup thin)
Biriyani leaf - 2
Oil - 5 tbsp
- Wash the mutton pieces well and then mix in the curd along with turmeric powder and let it marinate for an hour.
- Soak rice in water for about 30 mins.
- In a blender jar, take the quartered onion, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, green chillies, mint and coriander. Run them well until they form a paste. Add minimum amount of water for blending. Keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil (or ghee) and when its hot put in the biriyani leaf.
- Then add in the sliced onions and saute it for a min. Then add in the blended paste and saute until the raw smell goes off. It takes about 10 mins.
- Now add the marinated mutton along with the curd and saute it for a while... say 10 min. Add 1/2 cup of water and close the cooker with the whistle on the lid. Let it steam out for 5 to 6 whistles depending on the texture of your mutton pieces.
- When all the steam is out, open the lid, give it a stir... check if the mutton is cooked well... and add in the tomato puree. Let it come to boil.
- Now add in the coconut milk along with the required salt. Let it come to boil.
- Add in the soaked rice after draining the water completely. Close the lid and put the stove on low fire and let it cook for 20 mins. Then open the lid and check if its done, otherwise leave it for 5 more mins. (Don't stir the rice too much and smash them.)... and your biriyani is now ready!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy it warm with thalsa and raitha along with your loved ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!