Kadhi is as I believe a Maharastrian dish..... The basic ingredient of it is curd along with the masala ingredients. I tried adding spinach to it.... and BINGO!!! it was a success. It became a hit at home. Nowadays its regularly sitting in our weekly menu.... Do give it a try and I'm sure you'll love it.... Don't get astonished with the addition of wheat flour to this.... it tastes great..... On to the recipe.......
You will need..........
Spinach - 2 cups (shredded)
Curd/Buttermilk - 2 cups (well beaten)
Wheat flour - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - i inch piece (finely chopped)
Garlic - 5 pods (finely chopped)
- Add the spice powders along with the beaten buttermilk and mix well so that there are no lumps in it.
- Heat a kadai with oil and temper it with the given items.
- Add spinach and cook till it wilts.
- Now add the butter milk and keep stirring until it comes to boil.
- Then simmer it down in low heat until the oil separates.
- Switch off and serve with rice.
Serve it with hot steaming rice and pappad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- You can avoid spinach and add coriander leaves at the end.
- Serving it with kara boondhi splattered on top would also taste good.
- Immersing pakodas in this kadhi though sinful would be splendid.