Every week I usually get a large bunch of spinach from the market. Normally I will make Dal Palak with toor dal and have it along with rice. It also goes well with roti's for dinner. This time I wanted to try out something other than that. I came along an interesting as well as an easy rice recipe here and wanted to give it a try. I have used moong dal for an easier blend, though the original recipe called for masoor/toor dal. The rice was very tasty and I would say this is one of the best ways to eat spinach.....
You will need...........
Masoor Dal - 1/4 cup
Rice - 1 cup
Palak - 2 cup (chopped and tightly packed)
Onion - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grind to smooth paste
Ginger - a small piece
Garlic - 8 pods
Green chilly - 4
Coriander leaves - a handful
Mint leaves - a handful
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - a small piece
Jeera - 2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Oil - 1 tblspn
- Soak dal and rice for atleast 1/2 hour for quick cooking. Grind the items given to a smooth paste using very little water.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil and temper it with the given items. Then add the onions. Saute until they get transparent.
- Now add the grounded paste and cook until the raw smell vanishes.
- Add the palak leaves and wait until they wilt. Add dal and fry for a minute. Keep stirring to avoid the dal sticking to the bottom.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water (you can use the water used for soaking rice and dal). Add turmeric powder. Check for the salt.
- When the water starts to boil, simmer the stove and add rice. Give it a stir and close the cooker with the lid. After 15 mins open and give a stir. See if the rice is done and switch off the stove.
Enjoy the rice warm along with raitha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!