Have you ever tasted a butter croissant? If you say 'No' then I would say that you haven't had the golden touch of God..... yes, this is one of the best baked items you will ever have tasted.... When I had it for the first time.. (it was only after coming here..) I totally fell in love with it.... It just melted down my mouth.... and ever since then, I have never missed a chance of having it....
The snap above was taken when it was just out of the oven..... Aren't they tempting??????
You will need...........
White Flour - 2 cups
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Yeast - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1/3 cup and 2 tbsp (for brushing)
Water - 3/4 cup (luke warm)
Butter - 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp (for the dough preparation)
- Start the process on the day before you wish to bake your croissants.
- Take the yeast along with 1/4 cup luke warm water and 1 tsp sugar. Proof it for 10 mins until it becomes frothy.
- Take the flour in a mixing bowl. Add the remaining sugar, salt and 2 tbsp butter.
- Rub the butter with your hands so that it gets mixed well with the flour.
- Now add the yeast mixture and remaining water. Bring it to a form of soft sticky dough.
- Transfer it to a buttered container and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Next morning, first prepare the butter sheet. Roll out the butter into a square of about an inch thick. ( Put it inside a parchment paper and roll it.) Immediately put it back into the fridge until the dough sheet is ready.
- Bring out the dough onto a floured surface and make a rectangular sheet without applying much force.
- Now place the butter sheet over the dough sheet and cover it up such that no butter is exposed.
- Then spread the dough and butter into a rectangle. Make a three fold. Spread out the folded dough into a rectangle. Again make a three fold. Chill it for about 2 hrs.
- Again spread the dough into a rectangle and make a three fold. Chill it for an hour. Repeat the process four more times, so that it has as many layers as possible. Chill it again.
- Now finally roll it out into a rectangle. Cut it out in the centre longitudinally. Make two long strips.
- Place one in the fridge. Work on the other. Cut out triangles from it. Roll out each triangle starting from the broader base. You can even place a cube of butter or chocolate or dates before rolling.
- Place them on a baking tray and leave it for the final rise for about an hour.
- Brush it with milk and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg for 10-15 mins until they turn golden brown on top.
Enjoy when its warm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!