5 Dec 2012

Masala Vadai



Ohhhhhh Masala Vadai.......... it makes me remember all the festive time I spent at home along with my sister..... Mom used to make vadai for almost every 'ammavasai' along with the payasams. The menu will mostly be the same, but the ingredients keep on changing every month.... Of all, my favorite was this masala vadai ;-)) We normally skip breakfast on those days (if it is a holiday...)...
Mom would also not compel as she would be busy with the preparation.... She used to make only a few ready... just for the offering.... The most difficult part is that we are not allowed to touch any of them before the pooja is over....and later she fries the others when we are at the table. I still remember how my sister and I would fight for the one's at the offering.... as they are those which are readily available.... Those days, when the vadai would come to me without me grinding or mincing or frying... were really really wonderful.... Missing it a lot..........

Now on to my masala vadai......

You will need..........

Channa dhal - 1 cup (soak for about 3 hrs)
Green chilli - 2
Ginger - a small piece
Garlic - 5 pods
Fennel - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 3 (chop finely)
Onion - 1 (chop finely)
Mint leaves - 2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Rava / Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying



Get going..........
  1. Grind ginger, green chillies, garlic and fennel seeds coarsely.
  2. To this add the soaked and drained channa dhal and grind it to a coarse paste without adding much water.
  3. Transfer the contents from the mixie jar on to a bowl. Add rice flour, onion, mint, coriander, red chilli and salt. Combine everything well.
  4. Heat a kadai with oil. 
  5. Pinch small balls, flatten them in your palm and slip them into the oil. Fry them on both sides until golden brown.




Enjoy them with a cup of filter coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog....
It would be greatly appreciated if you could leave your comments which are valuable to me..........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...